Fire Caution for Cold Weather
January 25, 2021
With more heating appliances and equipment running to keep our homes comfortable and systems running smoothly during the cold months, the risk of a house fire increases dramatically.
1. Heating System - Whether you heat your home with a wood/pellet stove or oil/gas/propane furnace, a breakdown in safety equipment or poor user maintenance can lead to a fire. Do not plug space heaters into power strips and be sure heaters are on stable, level ground.
2. Cooking - The top cause of house fires in the United States is cooking. Colder weather brings us indoors to cook, and some of the best meals for the winter are slow-cooked, which means your stove and other appliances are plugged in and working for longer periods of time. Inspect all appliances for broken wires and other defective material. Never leave food cooking on a stove top unattended, especially if cooking with any kind of grease. If you use your grill to cook outside in the winter, be sure it is located away from the house with proper ventilation for smoke and heat.
3. Smoking - If you smoke, consider smoking outside, but remember to properly dispose of your ashes. Do not simply flick them on the ground, which could be dry, and paired with a strong wind, primed to start a major fire. Do not smoke around oxygen tanks or combustible material in garages and sheds.
4. Electrical - Winter means holidays, and holidays mean decorations – do not overload outlets or daisy-chain power strips, and do not leave decorations plugged in when you are not home or are asleep. Inspect all lights before putting them on your trees and homes, and be sure you are using the appropriate cord for indoor/outdoor use. Never leave candles burning unattended or where pets and children can knock them over.
Although we hope you and your love ones remain safe this winter, if your home becomes affected by a fire, please call SERVPRO of LBL North at 270-753-1160.