Winter Weather in Western Kentucky
January 22, 2021
SERVPRO of LBL North’s office is in Murray, KY. Our territory includes Calloway County, Marshall County, Lyon County, Trigg County, Caldwell County, and Livingston County. Here in Western Kentucky, we often have milder winters, with less winter weather storms than other locations. However, if winter storms do happen in our area, they are more common in January and February. Below are some tips from the CDC to help you and your family be prepared for Winter Weather Storms…
Winter Storm Checklist…
- Weatherproof your home: Be sure to insulate any water lines that may be along the exterior walls that way it is less likely for your water to freeze. Also, be sure your walls are insulated, doors and windows are caulked and weather striped, and all roof leaks are repaired.
- Inspect chimneys: If you plan to use a fireplace or wood stove for emergency heating, make sure that it has been inspected.
- Install a smoke detector and a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector: If you will be using a fireplace, wood stove, or kerosene heater; it is recommended to have smoke detectors and battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors installed and tested monthly.
- Create an emergency car kit: It is recommended to avoid traveling, however if you need to travel be sure to have some of these important items in your car… portable charger, extra hats, coats, mittens, and blankets, windshield scraper, flashlight with extra batteries, extra water and snack food, first aid kit, and many others that are listed on the website listed below.
Before the storm hits…
- Listen to weather forecasts and check your emergency supplies!
- Bring your pets indoors, or be sure outside animals are provided adequate shelter, food, and unfrozen water!
- Prepare your vehicle and home!
For more details on winter weather preparedness, please click on the link below! Our team at SERVPRO of LBL North hopes you and your family have a safe winter. However, if you or your family become affected by a winter storm, please contact SERVPRO of LBL North at 270-753-1160, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!