February 3rd, 2020
Tennesseans are beginning to enter into the Spring storm season. According to the Weather Channel, the percentage of severe weather which includes tornadic weather begins to rapidly increase in February. Given the warmer Winter season we have underwent thus far, it is expected to see an increase in severe weather earlier in the year. Severe weather could include excessive rain/floods, straight line winds, hail, and of course, tornadoes. Are you and your family prepared? Here are a few helpful tips from the National Weather Service:
- BE READY – If you do not have a weather radio in the home, these can be purchased for a reasonable cost at just about any local convenience store or online. It needs to be NOAA certified, and you will need to identify which specific band/frequency to set it to in the event it does not set itself automatically. You can find those HERE, and then identify the frequency for your area, then set your radio accordingly. Make sure the weather radio can both plug in, and operate on some other form of alternative source (batteries, solar, or crank).
- SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS: Various apps on your Android or Apple phone can alert you to disaster, and guide you once the disaster has concluded. Make sure to have some means of reaching the outside world in the event disaster strikes.
- COMMUNICATION PLAN: In the event you must evacuate your home, or disaster strikes when the family is separated, have a plan for notifying members who reside in the home, as well as other members of concern (immediate family, co-workers, etc.)
- REHEARSE THE PLAN: Run through the communication plan, and overall disaster plan routinely with all members of the household. The plan of action should be second nature in the rare event emergency strikes.
- HELP WHERE HELP IS NEEDED: Once you have secured your home and family, check with neighbors to see if help is needed. Contact emergency services if help is required.
Other helpful tips include making sure your insurance documents, identification, credit card/banking information is all saved digitally in the event your home is destroyed. The more prepared you are, the faster the claims adjuster can work with you to repair/rebuild your home.
SERVPRO of LBL North is an expert in helping make these preparations. Contact the office at (731) 641-1284 and ask to meet with a SERVPRO representative at your home or business to begin building your Emergency Readiness Plan (ERP).
Resources for Additional Information: